Do you ever need help with where to start in choosing a contractor? Here are a few tips and advice to create a less stressful journey.
1. Determine your project goals: Before reaching out to a contractor, it's important to determine your project goals. What do you want to achieve with your renovation? What is your budget? What is your timeline?
Project goals may vary from just changing to your new dream kitchen to building your dream home from the ground up. Once you have an idea on what you want to achieve, do ensure you ALWAYS have a budget, know your limit, and which you are willing to spend more than the other. This includes the timeline. It is crucial to discuss ahead of anything your budget and timeline with your contractor to ensure both the client and the contractor have the same goal in mind.
2. Research potential contractors: Look for contractors who specialize in the type of project you want to undertake. Check their online reviews and ratings, and ask for references from past clients.
You can always start looking for your potential contractor by googling ‘contractor near me’, this way you have a foundation to do your research, some contractor only specializes in the kitchen, or just do wet works, etc… you could always look through their portfolio, images or images posted by their previous client. If you can't find any reviews you could always look on their social media like Facebook or Instagram or others.
3. Ask for a detailed proposal: Once you have narrowed down your list of potential contractors, ask each one to provide a detailed proposal outlining the scope of work, timeline, materials, and cost.
It is essential to know the quality of the materials that will be used by your potential contractors, as a safety and long-term investment. If a great trusting contractor usually they don't mind telling you the type of materials they will be using, like the type of bricks.
4. Communicate openly: Good communication is essential to a successful collaboration with a contractor. Be clear about your expectations and ask questions throughout the process.
Always! Always communicate well with whatever you want upfront to the contractor. Plus points if you have a great relationship with your contractor as they will already know the level of expectations you have. Be sure to always ask questions whenever you are unsure as they sure will answer them and also give better advice.
5. Review the contract carefully: Before signing a contract, review it carefully to ensure that all the terms and conditions are clear and agreeable.
This is where some problems start to brew, do check the terms carefully and ask more questions with your contractor for better clarification before signing anything.
That is all our top 5 tips before choosing your contractor, if you have any more questions do drop us questions and our team will happily assist you